Friday 10 May 2013

Most Common Wedding Superstitions Around The World

Around the world, there are many beliefs that are attributed to supernatural causation and lack any scientific proof. These beliefs are called superstitions and despite the lack of scientific basis, a lot of people believe in many of these superstitions especially since most of these superstitions have been around for many, many years already.

There are superstitions for almost any event, occasion, and circumstance. One of those things that have many superstitions surrounding it is weddings. Since a wedding is a very important day in a person’s life, there are many superstitions on how to make it as auspicious as possible. There are superstitions when it comes to the flowers, the dresses, the wedding dates, the catering, the ceremony, and other wedding details. Some suppliers such as the wedding caterer or the coordinator may ask whether you want any of these superstitions to be observed.

Various cultures around the world have their own superstitions and it is up to you whether you want to observe or follow any of them. Below are some of the most common wedding superstitions.

·         It is bad luck for the groom to see the bride in her wedding dress before the wedding ceremony. This superstition originated from the time when arranged marriages are the norm and fathers of the bride fear that the groom might change his mind if he sees the bride before the ceremony. Letting the groom see the bride only during the ceremony ensures that the wedding takes place. Although there are still couples nowadays who like to observe this superstition, it is mainly to make the moment more exciting and memorable.

·         Rain on your wedding day is good luck. There are many variations on superstitions regarding rain on the wedding day. While some people believe that rain on the wedding day is bad luck, prosperity and blessings are often associated with rain which is why it is also often thought to be good luck for weddings.

·         It is bad luck for the bride to try on her wedding dress before the wedding day. Brides are often advised to wear or try on their wedding dress only on the wedding day itself because it is said to be bad luck to do so beforehand. Nowadays, more brides choose not to follow this superstition simply because they want their wedding dress to fit perfectly which can only happen if they try on the dress.

·         It is good luck for the groom to carry the bride over the threshold of their new home. In ancient times, the practice of the groom carrying the bride over the threshold is to prevent any misstep or mishap because thresholds of homes are said to be a common place where spirits lurk. Nowadays, newlywed couples do this practice simply as a romantic way to enter their home for the first time as husband and wife.

2 comments:

  1. Superb ideas! Thanks my friend for sharing them. These ideas would be very useful in my sister’s destination wedding. She has reserved one of best beach wedding venues Los Angeles and I want everything to execute to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am by name Miss jane ,And i am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-boyfriend that I love so much. I had a boyfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when his friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to him just because he was been jealous of his friend that i was dating and on the scene my boyfriend just walk in and he thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to him that his friend always do this whenever he is not with me and i always refuse him but i never told him because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but he never believed me. he broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make him believe me but he never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. AKHERE and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months. Email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete